As part of the platform strategy, we envision that every data scientist / research scientist / research engineer at Zalando can spend at least 80% of the time building intelligent and cutting edge solutions, and not worrying about operational aspects. This should be made possible by platform tooling that addresses the core needs of data science.
Therefore, we listen to people that previously collided protons at CERN to determine what they need and what tools are best suited to getting their job done.
- Gaining an understanding of data science use cases from teams all over Zalando and learn how to address their needs from the Platform point of view.
- Assessing offerings from cloud providers to determine which tools provide the best fit for the sophisticated needs of Zalandos’ data scientists.
- Working as part of the platform team to incorporate your findings into a data science enablement product that is unique in the world.
- Determining how in-house high performance computing (HPC) resources (we currently use SLURM) can be best used to serve data science at Zalando.
- Learning new technologies to address data science use cases. These include machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow and scalable cloud infrastructure solutions like Kubernetes.
- At least basic understanding of data science and related topics is a big plus! Because you will need to understand the use case of data scientists.
- Scientific programming / data engineering will be part of your work.
- Good communication skills (in English). You will talk a lot to data scientists from other teams.
- Willingness to learn new technologies.
Nice to have skills:
- Interest in working together with cloud providers like Google (GCP) or Amazon (AWS) and hardware vendors for HPC environments
- Knowledge of tools we use would be a plus. These include: SLURM, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Saltstack, Spark, Ipyparallel, Tensorflow, Torch or other deep learning framework
- We currently code in Go and Python but other languages are also welcome
What You Can Expect From Us
- Culture of trust and empowerment, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, +70 internal technical and fun guilds, tech talks, product demos, Coderdojos, parties & events
- Perks including Competitive salary, 40% Zalando shopping discount, discounts from external partners, public transport discounts, relocation assistance for internationals, free drinks & fruits, hardware of your choice
- Development of your own Tour of Mastery, extensive onboarding, personal branding support, opportunity to attend and speak at conferences
- Work Environment of self-organized, autonomous teams and flexible working hours
Want to join us? Then go ahead and apply!
If you need guidance or have any questions about our hiring processes, please contact recruiter Sameer Shaikh