The Zalando Fashion Insights Centre was founded with the aim of understanding fashion through technology. Our engineers work with the latest technologies in support of Europe’s largest and most progressive ecommerce company as it transitions to a truly open commerce platform for suppliers and customers.
At the Fashion Insights Centre you will join our core engineering teams in delivering a micro-services architected platform supporting data-science driven smart services. Teams at Zalando are self-organising, well-resourced and committed to best-practice. The centre itself is rapidly expanding, giving you the opportunity to significantly influence the R&D and engineering work that we drive within Zalando. We’ve started the journey; we’re looking for the brightest minds to help deliver our goals.
We are technology agnostic, if it works, use it; but we typically find ourselves developing in Scala on the Play framework and in Python. We use Kafka, Spark and Postgres to tie it all together and deploy our services and applications to AWS using Zalando’s STUPS framework for managed application life cycles.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Significant experience in developing large 24x7 backend systems, agile development methodologies and team leadership
- Up to date on current trends in software design, architecture and web services
- Skilled in object-oriented and functional programming languages like Java / Scala/ Clojure (with relevant frameworks) as well as (No)SQL databases
- Knowledge of event-based systems and event queues in general is a plus
- Passion for well structured, readable and testable code
- Experienced engineer who knows about scalability, high-availability, security, monitoring, architecture & design of state-of-the-art websites and the systems that drive them
- Good knowledge of REST APIs and highly distributed, scalable and resilient microservice landscapes
- Experience with designing and operating large-scale applications on a PaaS/SaaS cloud, preferably AWS
Management and leadership skills
- Experience in building, developing and leading a team of engineers in an agile environment
- You can lead projects and groups, including managing complex projects with various stakeholders through the whole company
- You have an ability to guide and influence autonomous teams
- You feel comfortable in coaching teams and finding the best possible solution
- Ability to work cross-functionally with other teams, and to solve conflicts
- You think creatively, solution oriented, and continuously innovate
- For your area of responsibility you craft a technical vision that aligns well with the overall technology vision
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and English language fluency
- Developing and executing the mid- & long-term technical vision and architecture with teams in your care
- Help teams to find the right solution for complex problems by supporting, not steering them
- Drive team mastery of world-class development techniques
- Keep a close connection to Product Owners / Product Specialists and be a sparring partner when creating the product vision
- Define Objectives and Key Results with teams in your care in order to achieve a high-level alignment on a quarter-year basis
- Facilitate communication and decision-making between teams and stakeholders
- Support Practice Leads in developing the individuals in your teams
- Identify and share your knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies
- Represent Zalando at conferences and meetups, give technical talks and help to recruit great technical talent
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- Team autonomy and personal development support including language, presentation and technical trainings
- Competitive salary with pension, healthcare, life assurance, shares program and commuter benefits
- 40% Zalando store discount. 30% Zalando lounge discount
- Great community across the international sites: internally organised guilds, movie nights and Meetups
- Relocation assistance for internationals
Zalando is Europe’s leading online fashion platform, doing business in 15 markets. Delivering first-class shopping experiences to our +19 million customers requires moving fast — with microservices, Agile processes and autonomous teams — and using cutting edge, open source technologies. We are passionate about what we do and have fun while doing it. And we are willing to experiment and make mistakes: It’s how we grow.
WANT TO JOIN US? THEN GO AHEAD AND APPLY!
If you need guidance or have any questions about our hiring processes, please contact our recruiting team.